Senior Application Engineer - Computational Biology
Join a dynamic team working in Quantitative Systems Pharmacology. You will work with Development and Marketing to grow the market and adoption of SimBiology, a leading solution used to model, simulate, and analyze dynamic systems, focusing on applications such as systems biology and PK/PD.
You will work with customers, understand their technical and business challenges, and help them understand solutions with MATLAB products.
As a Senior Application Engineer, you will use your expertise to work closely with the North American accounts, and help them be successful. You will work closely with sales teams. You will develop and deliver demonstrations and presentations that highlight SimBiology.
This challenging and rewarding role encourages a large degree of personal initiative and deep engagements with key customers. This position is non-commissioned.
Travel is required and is generally throughout North America. Though far less frequent, some international travel is possible. You should expect to travel about 30-40% of the time with trips generally no longer than four days.
Note: If you are curious about this role, but lack the softer skills required (e.g. presentation skills, sales skills, etc.), please consider applying. The hiring manager has significant experience teaching these skills to motivated people with the right technical background.
Working with customers
The key responsibility of this role is to support the SimBiology product, including: owning technical pre-sales, supporting marketing initiatives, and growing its use in Quantitative Systems Pharmacology.
To this end, you will be expected to:
- Engage with customers via on-site visits, conference calls, and WebEx to learn about their business challenges and recommend solutions using MathWorks tools.
- Prepare and develop product demonstrations that highlight the use of MathWorks tools to address customer challenges.
- Present webinars, seminars and conference talks on topics in systems pharmacology with MATLAB and SimBiology. Communicate with technical audiences, as well as their managers.
- Perform extended evaluations with key customers to promote large-scale adoption of MathWorks tools. This includes multiple engagements with customers, both pre and post sales, to ensure customer success.
- Champion/foster an active community to enable customers to share ideas and best practices for adopting/expanding QSP with MATLAB and SimBiology.
Working with internal groups
The other responsibility of this role is to be an internal champion and voice of the customer to Development and Marketing.
To this end, you will be expected to:
- Assist account managers of key customers in account planning. This includes identifying target groups within the key accounts, planning specific engagements, and business development—taking the lead in growing SimBiology use within accounts.
- Work with MathWorks consulting and external consulting companies to find customers solutions to grow their use/adoption of QSP with MATLAB and SimBiology.
- Deliver consulting projects and/or work with consulting companies to find customers solutions to grow their use/adoption of QSP with MATLAB and SimBiology.
- Identify opportunities and product-gaps/challenges. Provide field data back to Development so they can improve the products.
- Work with Marketing to attend conferences, contribute scientifically to QSP community to build SimBiology/MathWorks’ recognition in the field.
- Generally, advocate for our customers and work closely with Marketing, Development, and Sales.
- A bachelor's degree and 7 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree and 5 years of professional work experience, or a PhD degree, or equivalent experience) is required.
- An interest in working directly with customers to help them understand how MATLAB products are used to solve their engineering and business problems.
- Strong knowledge of analytics software, such as MATLAB, R, Python.
- Experience with Quantitative Systems Pharmacology.
- Experience in technical sales or consultative selling is a plus.
- Experience with QSP tools such as Phoenix WinNonlin, NONMEM, or Berkeley Madonna is a plus.
- Experience in MATLAB and SimBiology is a plus.
- Experience with selling into large enterprise accounts is a plus.
- Experience working with the pharmaceutical industry is a plus.
- Candidates must be willing to travel 25% to 40% of the time (seasonal).
It’s the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It’s contributing to software products that make a difference in the world. And it’s being part of a company with an incredible commitment to doing the right thing – for each individual, our customers, and the local community.
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs 5000 people in 16 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, U.S.A. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
The MathWorks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. View The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement.
The pay transparency policy is available here.
MathWorks participates in E-Verify. View the E-Verify posters here.