Gridded NORA3 data: automated and remote data extraction
Actualizada 26 Jul 2022
The NORA3 atmosphere hindcast data are remotely accessed using the OPeNDAP framework and the THREDDS Data Server of the Norwegian Meteorological Institute . If the data are extracted for multiple latitudes and longitudes, the data are stored in a gridded format. The atmospheric data are retrieved for seven different heights, from 10 m to 750 m above the surface. The mean wind speed profile can be interpolated using a non-linear scheme based on the Deaves and Harris model [2,3]. Above the ocean, the sea roughness is modelled using the Charnock relation. A summary of the NORA3 data and their potential is available in .
The present submission contains
- getNORA3.m: A function that imports the NORA3 hindcast from 
- getz0_charnock.m: A function that estimates the roughness of the sea surface using Charnock's equation and the logarithmic profile of the mean wind speed.
- interpU.m: A function that interpolates the mean wind speed using The Deaves and Harris model [2,3]
- world.mat: A data file that contains the coastline of countries (used for visualization purpose only)
- Documentation.mlx: A Matlab LiveScript that illustrates how these functions can be used
Any comment, question or suggestion is welcome
 Harris, R. I., & Deaves, D. M. (1980, November). The structure of strong winds, wind engineering in the eighties. In Proc. CIRIA Conf.
 ESDU. (1985). ESDU 85020-Characteristics of atmospheric turbulence near the ground. Part II: single point data for strong winds (neutral atmosphere.
 Solbrekke, I. M., Sorteberg, A., & Haakenstad, H. (2021). Norwegian hindcast archive (NORA3)–A validation of offshore wind resources in the North Sea and Norwegian Sea. Wind Energy Science Discussions, 1-31.
Cheynet, E., I. M. Solbrekke, J. M. Diezel, and J. Reuder. A one-year comparison of new wind atlases over the North Sea. Accepted for publication in Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 2022
Compatibilidad con la versión de MATLAB
Compatibilidad con las plataformasWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!