Matrix Methods of Linear Algebra
Updated 23 Jun 2021
Created with R2020b. Compatible with R2020b and later releases.
This curriculum module contains interactive live scripts that teach fundamental matrix methods commonly taught in introductory linear algebra courses. In the first part of each live script, students learn standard definitions, visualize concepts, and perform exercises on paper. Afterward, students practice complementary MATLAB® methods. These methods reinforce the discussed concepts and help students to develop an early familiarity with computational software. Each lesson concludes with an illustrative application. These live scripts can be used as part of a lecture, as activities in an instructional setting, or as an interactive assignment to be completed outside of class.
The instructions inside the live scripts will guide you through the exercises and activities. Get started with each live script by running it one section at a time. To stop running the script or a section midway (for example, when an animation is in progress), use the Stop button in the RUN section of the Live Editor tab in the MATLAB Toolstrip.
An interactive lesson that explores basic matrix operations.
- Define matrices and their basic arithmetic operations
- Calculate the result of matrix operations on paper and in MATLAB
- Explain the size requirements of matrix operations
- Compare symbolic and numeric matrix operations in MATLAB
- Apply matrix methods to modify grayscale images
linearSystems.mlx, linearSystemsApplications.mlx, linearSystemsSoln.mlx, linearSystemsApplicationsSoln.mlx
An interactive lesson that explores matrix representations of linear systems and their solutions.
- Write a linear system in matrix form
- Relate solutions of linear systems in 3-dimensions to their visualizations
- Solve systems of linear equations using row-reduction
- Solve systems of linear equations using matrix inverses
- Explain the solvability of a linear system in terms of the matrix determinant
- Use MATLAB to solve linear systems
- Apply matrix methods to linear regression and linear circuit analysis
eigenanalysis.mlx, eigenanalysisApplications.mlx, eigenanalysisSoln.mlx, eigenanalysisApplicationsSoln.mlx
An interactive lesson that explores eigenvectors, eigenvalues, and their applications.
- Visualize eigenvectors in 2-dimensions
- Solve for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 2x2 matrix on paper and larger matrices using MATLAB
- Diagonalize 2x2 matrices on paper and larger matrices in MATLAB
- Explain linear system solvability in terms of eigenvalues
- Discuss defective matrices
- Use eigenanalysis to understand vibrations and the long term behavior of a Markov chain
MATLAB, Symbolic Math Toolbox™, Image Processing Toolbox™
The license for this module is available in the LICENSE.TXT file in this GitHub repository.
Have any questions or feedback? Contact the MathWorks online teaching team.
Copyright 2021 The MathWorks, Inc.
Brian Hong (2021). Matrix Methods of Linear Algebra (https://github.com/MathWorks-Teaching-Resources/Matrix-Methods-of-Linear-Algebra/releases/tag/v1.0.0), GitHub. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!